I absolutely love the lettuce wraps at Cactus Club, but they aren't the best for you and they're expensive. You can usually make your favourite restaurant meal at home for a fraction of the price and with better quality ingredients. This recipe is a little different but still so tasty and easy to put together. You can even be extra fancy and make a sauce or aoili to drizzle over. I love using butter lettuce as my base but iceberg, romaine and green leaf all work just as well.
You can sub in any meat you like or if you want to keep it vegan, you can use extra-firm crumbled tofu or just add extra veggies to bulk it up (broccoli, extra carrots, water chestnuts, bok choy would all work well)
- 1lb ground turkey breast or thighs
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp seasme oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (or 10..who's counting)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp chili garlic paste
- 1 tbsp peanut or almond butter
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds or peanuts
- 1 head of lettuce of your choice
1. Heat your skillet or pot over medium-high heat. Add in avocado and sesame oil.
2. Add in onions, garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant and onions soften.
3. Add in ground turkey and begin to break apart as it cooks. Cook until it is no longer pink.
4. While that's cooking, cut the end of your lettuce head off and pull apart leaves. Wash and set aside to dry.
5. When turkey is cooked, add in hoisin, tamari, rice vinegar, chili garlic paste, carrots and peanut or almond butter. Stir until all is coated.
6. Sprinkle almonds or peanuts on top when read to serve into lettuce wraps.
- xo Samantha