These tacos were seriously the bomb. I do enjoy tacos, but they aren’t something I normally crave or think of making often. That has definitely changed ever since making these!! They were super simple to make, and it was fun getting to put all the toppings on. It’s a great meal idea if you’re having a party because everyone can just put on what they want, and the toppings are customizable.
Here’s the recipe, thank me later;
Flank Steak Tacos (makes ~5-6 tacos)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp honey (coconut sugar would work as well)
- 1 flank steak
- 5-6 small flour or corn tortillas
- 2 cups red cabbage thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer, but a knife works as well)
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 cup pickled red onion
(in a mason jar add in 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 cups water, 1 tbsp coconut sugar, 1 tbsp Himalayan salt and one large red onion very thinly sliced. Refrigerate for at least one hour)
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp honey
- Pinch of salt
1. Combine marinade in a zip lock bag, mix around and add in steak. Let marinade for 2-3 hours or ideally overnight.
2. While that’s marinating, you can prepare all the toppings and sauce. Grate carrots, slice cabbage, slice green onions and make the pickled onions. Mix all sauce ingredients in a bowl. Set all aside and refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. When steak is ready, heat grill pan or BBQ to medium high heat (if using a pan, add a little coconut oil). Grill steak until it reaches your desired doneness (I did mine for about 13 minutes)
4. Let the steak rest for 5-10 minutes, then slice against the grain.
5. To assemble, place tortilla on a plate or taco holder (my new favourite kitchen accessory), add carrot, cabbage, green onion, steak, pickled onions and drizzle sauce over.