I’m always trying to find new breakfast recipes that are great for meal prep but that are also different because sometimes I need a break from chia seed pudding or smoothies (don’t get me wrong, I love them, but I need to switch it up). Pinterest is seriously my best friend. A lot of my recipe inspiration comes from there and then I just switch up ingredients to how I like it. This is a new favourite, so easy, yummy, and could even double as dessert warmed up with ice cream on top. It’s gluten free and has no added sugar (if you leave out the maple syrup). I used blueberries, but you could use any fruit- strawberries, raspberries, peaches, blackberries, even cherries! I’ll be making this for meal prep again and I think raspberries will be so good (especially locally bought, makes such a difference).
I quickly want to touch on oat flour. Whenever I saw a recipe that needed it, I would put it aside because I never had oat flour. I always have oats on hand and one day thought, why not just add oats to a blender or food processor and make flour? So I did, and it worked so well! That’s always how I make my oat flour now, no need to buy it!
Here’s the recipe;
Blueberry Oat Bars
· 2 cups frozen blueberries (thawed)
· 2 tbsp chia seeds
· 2 ripe bananas
· 1 cup oats
· 1 cup oat flour (put oats in a blender or food processor and blend until fine)
· 1 tbsp cinnamon
· 1 tsp salt
· 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
1. Thaw frozen blueberries and add in chia seeds. Set aside.
2. Mash bananas and combine with oat, oat flour, cinnamon, salt and maple syrup (if using). Save ¾ cup for the top.
3. Grease an 8x8 pan with coconut oil and press in oat mixture, making a crust. Add blueberry filling and spread out evenly. Crumble on reserved crust mixture.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 27-30 minutes or until golden brown.